Last updated on December 21st, 2017
I have shared a post on how foreigners can travel Bhutan for free – without having to pay daily tariff of USD 250/day. One of the ways I have mentioned there is travelling on a Bhutan Personal Guest VISA. I feel I couldn’t make it so clear then given the length of article.
Therefore, today I am bringing you a separate article to elaborate it. In this article you can expect to know how a tourist can travel Bhutan free as guest of a Bhutanese citizen; what tourist has to do and what a Bhutanese, who is inviting a foreigner as his/her guest, has to do.
I have prepared this article referring the terms and conditions given under clause of ‘Requirements for Personal Guest of Bhutan’ of Immigration Rules and Regulations of the Kingdom of Bhutan.
But this article is specifically for people from countries other than India, Bangladesh and Maldives. People from these three countries can travel Bhutan without Bhutan VISA for free with submission of filled up Bhutan Entry Permit Application Form.
Things Personal Guest Applicant must remember
- Must be in Bhutan during the scheduled visit of the guest.
- Personal guest limitation is 2 people a year.
- Bhutanese younger than 18 years cannot invite a guest.
- Cannot invite same person more than once as guest.
- Can invite only person whom you knew outside Bhutan.
- Your acquaintance with invitee must be of at least 6 months.
Things that Personal Guest invitee must remember
- No tourist can travel Bhutan on personal guest VISA more than once a year.
- Personal guest shouldn’t involve in activities except sightseeing and culture tours.
- The passport of guest should have validity of at least 6 months.
- VISA approval letter must be presented at entry points.
- Have to pay one time guest VISA fee of Nu.2,500 during an entry.
Bhutan Personal Guest VISA – Documents Required
- Filled up Personal Guest Application Form Bhutan.
- Filled up VISA Application form Bhutan.
- Citizenship Identity Card copy of the applicant.
- Travel itinerary of the guest.
- Passport copy of the person to be invited a guest.
- Confirmed Return Air ticket/scheduled departure proof.
- Documents to authenticate the relationship (if any).
The administrative procedures of inviting a person to Bhutan on a Personal Guest VISA are quite lengthy and strict. It’s but to embrace government’s tourism policy of ‘High Value, Low Impact’ which limits Bhutan only for genuine visitors.
However, if you have someone from Bhutan with whom you have studied together or worked in a team for certain assignments outside Bhutan, travelling on Bhutan Personal Guest VISA will be quite an easy choice.
Recommend to read following travel experiences and exciting travel stories from Bhutan:
- 13 arts and crafts of Bhutan – A journey through Zorig Chusum.
- Bhutanese celebrate first snowfall as symbol of prosperity.
- Taktsang Monastery – Seeking Smiles from a Familiar Face.
- To Trashigang Merak – The Land of Brokpa People in Bhutan.
- Bhutan Travel Guide: Tips on How to Travel Bhutan from India.
- Paro Dzong under Flooding Light during night.
- Don’t be surprised to know Kingdom of Yangdon really Exist.
- Tips for tourists in riding taxi cabs from Phuentsholing Bhutan.
- Gasa Tsachu – an Ultimate Tourist Attraction of Gasa Bhutan.
- 65 Tourist Attractions in Paro other than Taktsang Monastery.