In Bhutan, Lord Buddha, Zhabdrung Rinpoche and Guru Padmasambhava are three most revered religious figures. Hence, there is Buddha Dordenma statue at Buddha Point in Thimphu. It’s claimed to be the largest statue of Buddha in the world.
And it houses hundred thousand smaller Buddha statues in the design of the larger statue itself. All smaller statues are made out of bronze gilded in gold.
And in reverence to Guru Padmasambhava, there is a statue of Guru at Takila, Lhuentse. The 154ft statue is the tallest statue of Guru Rinpoche in the whole world.
I have been to Buddha Point several times as I reside in Thimphu. I have also attended its concretion ceremony. I also have quite a many photos of it taken from different directions during different seasons.
However, I have never been to Takila to see the tallest statue of Guru Rinpoche. It was during my recent travel to Eastern Bhutan, I had a chance.
Travel to Lhuentse Takila Statue – Locations
This statue is on a hill above Tangmachu village in Lhuentse. It is geographically on a higher gradient. So we can enjoy the serene beauty of villages around it.
But it’s bit windy, dry and cold during winter. It would be better you visit during early spring. Weather would be favourable by then. Moreover you can see different agricultural works of local people.
Travel to Lhuentse Statue – Travel Routes
Indian tourists entering from Samdrupjongkhar can travel from there to Lhuentse. The distance between the two is around 350 KM. It’s a one day travel.
However, those entering from Phuntsholing can first travel to Thimphu, if to travel Lhuentse by public transport services. Otherwise to Paro if to travel by plane till Trashigang.
Tourists from other countries can travel either from Paro-Trashigang-Takila or from Thimphu-Bumthang-Lhuentse-Takila. In former, you have an option of taking domestic flight till Trashigang.
Travel to Lhuentse Takila Statue – Transportation
If you are at Thimphu and is planning to travel Takila, you can use Public Transport Services. There is a bus from Thimphu to Lhuentse. But you should check availability of tickets at bus booking or Thimphu RSTA Office.
But remember that public transport service will reach you to Lhuentse. This means you need arrange to travel from there to Takila. But it’s just around 15 KM.
Either you can drive your private vehicle if you want a comfortable journey. In either case, you have to hold one night at Bumthang Chamkhar. Lhuentse is around 550 KM from Thimphu. It’s a two days travel.
However, if you are at Paro, you can travel by plane till Yonphula Domestic Airport and thereafter travel in a car. But this airport is not yet operational.
Tourist Attractions – Near Takila Guru Statue
If you want to explore more things nearby Takila statue, you have following attractions:
- Tangmachu village & Chukpo Farmstay.
- Dungkarcholing village & its lhakhang.
- Pelri village and its lhakhang.
- Karney village and its lhakhang.
- Dangling village and its lhakhang.
- Khesibee village and its village temple.
However, all these destinations are nearby the statue. While few entail 1-2 hrs of walking, others are just so near. More importantly you can experience life styles and cultures of people living in that part of Bhutan.
Tourist Attractions – En route to Takila statue
Reaching to Lhuentse takes few holds on the way. So you can visit some of the following attractions on the way:
- Kurje and Jampa Lhakhangs in Bumthang.
- Zukpola park & Trashigang Dzong in Trashigang.
- Chorten Kora & Bumdeling Park in Yangtse.
- Dremetise Lhakhang & Mongar Dzong.
The journey to Takila either from Samdrupjongkhar or from Thimphu/Paro would be an adventurous one. Because it is a travel through Himalayan vegetation with natural flowers, breathtaking cliffs and waterfalls.
Recommend to read following travel experiences and exciting travel stories from Bhutan:
- 17 best places to visit in 2017 – CNN has identified Bhutan as one of them.
- Bumthang Travel – The experiences and stories of a Traveller.
- Eastern Bhutan Travel – My experiences at Yonphula Airport.
- Zhuk Drak Temple – Taktshang Lhakhang in Bumthang?
- Trekking to Great Dungtsho – Bhutan’s lake admist rocky castles.
- Romantic Getaway at Paro Dongkola Temple.
- Gasa Tsachu – an ultimate tourist attraction of Gasa Bhutan.
- The secrets of Tiger Nest Monastery (Taktshang) Hike.
- Travel to Bhutan : Why many don’t travel to Bhutan.
- The largest Guru Nangsi Zilnon Statue – Travel map to Lhuentse Takila.