Whenever I travel Punakha, I make sure to visit the longest suspension bridge of Punakha that stretches at the length of about 350m over Phochu (Male River). The moment of running over it often with young school children, monks and tourists gives an exhilarating experience.
Punakha itself is one of the best scenic places in Bhutan. Therefore, almost all tourists travelling to Bhutan visit Punakha. Man-made structure like this suspension bridge, traditional cantilever bridge and majestic Dzong make Punakha appear more beautiful.
During my last visit, I have seen few male tourists cycling over the suspension bridge of Punakha. I could only imagine the level of their joy as they cycle over it enjoying the scenery and breathing fresh air. The mere act of walking over this bridge is like conquering the rapid and problematic flowing Phochu (Male River).
When many people walk over it in synchronizing steps, this suspension bridge tends to shake sideways making your walk even more heart pumping. However, tourists don’t seem to enjoy it as much as Bhutanese do. I have seen tourists waiting at the end.
If you are someone who goes for jogging in morning, the suspension bridge of Punakha provides a good platform. Cool morning breeze coming from the river beneath would make your jogging less tiring and more soothing.
The distant views of Punakha farmland, villages, Khuruthang town and Punakha Dzong are good subjects of landscape photography. You might also see young couple dating over the bridge and playfully taking selfies.
Therefore, the suspension bridge of Punakha is one of the places of interest for tourists at Punakha. When you travel Punakha, don’t forget to go there and enjoy the moment of crossing the longest suspension bridge of Bhutan. Your visit at the suspension bridge of Punakha would be more fun if you do cycling over it.
Recommend to read following travel experiences and exciting travel stories from Bhutan:
- Royal Botanical Park of Bhutan at Lampelri, a nice place to visit.
- Romantic Getaway at Paro Dongkola Temple.
- Travel to Bhutan: why many don’t travel to Kingdom of Bhutan.
- Photography hike to Phajoding Monastery.
- 13 arts and crafts of Bhutan – A journey through Zorig Chusum.
- Place of interest in Thimphu – Dodedrak Goemba.
- Faces that will interest you to travel Bhutan.
- Tacho Lhakhang – Temple of Bhutan’s 900+ years old bridge.
- Paro Tshechu in the past and present.
- Gasa Tsachu – An ultimate tourist attraction of Gasa Bhutan.