Dochula Pass is the best Instagram-worth place in Thimphu. It’s between Thimphu and Thimphu; two most popular tourist places of Bhutan. Therefore, it remains strategically accessible for all tourists of Bhutan who travel Punakha, Phobjikha, Trongsa and Bumthang.
It is at a distance of about 24km from Thimphu and takes about one hour. Tourists who aren’t on a minimum daily package (India, Bangladesh, Maldives) have to stop at Hongtsho Security Check Point. Because you have to present your Bhutan Entry Permit.
The journey to Dochula Pass is through pristine forest of cypress trees and hemlocks. During appropriate seasons, road side forest will be beautiful with rhododendron blossoms. Therefore, you’ll be there in no time.
There are few concrete caves just above Dochula chortens. You can practice meditation amidst chirruping birds and ratting leaves. There are various picnic spots. If you want to have something, Dochula Cafeteria is just at roadside.
When weather is fine, 110 Dochula chortens is the top subject of landscape photography for Instagramers. Therefore, you can come with good photos of Dochula Pass. Its environment gets complimented by surrealistically rising of light clouds and distant snow-capped mountains.
Druk Wangyel Lhakhang, a symbol of victory of Bhutanese soldiers over Indian insurgents also offer great getaway. The view of those 110 Dochula chortens from temple is something you’ll not forget in a while after going from there.
Dochula Tshechu that happens on 13th December every year. A ground behind this temple is its spot. And this festival celebrates bravery of Bhutanese soldiers . You can get good views of Himalayan mountain ranges from the festival ground. Since it’s amidst forest, you can also go for short bird watching exercise.
Recommend to read following travel experiences and exciting travel stories from Bhutan:
- The largest Guru Nangsi Zilnon statue – Travel map to Lhuentse Takila.
- Dzongdrakha Temple in Paro looks same like Tiger Nest Temple.
- Romantic Getaway at Paro Dongkola Temple.
- Dochula Pass – Travel experiences with Indian Tourists.
- Trekking to Great Dungtsho – Bhutan’s lake amidst rocky castles.
- Photography Hike to Thimphu Phajoding Monastery.
- Travel to Gasa – land of unnatural peaks and hot springs.
- My simple tips for Thimphu Phajoding Trip.
- Royal Botanical Park of Bhutan at Lampelri, a good place to visit.
- Top 10 tourist attractions of Gangtey Valley.
- Trekking to Chele La Pass – The Best ViewPoint of Paro and Haa Valleys.